Solicitors in Bristol
solicitors in bristol

Care Home Fees

Many people become concerned about the possibility of their home having to be sold to pay for residential care home fees and want to know if this can be avoided.

The need to enter either a Nursing or Residential Care home often comes when we least expect it, and it will be a difficult time for the person involved and their family. Added to this is the difficulty of navigating the local authority rules for payment of fees for residential care and the means testing involved.

Contrary to popular belief, it is not always the case that your house will be taken into account when assessing you for care fees, for example, if your spouse or certain other dependent relatives live in the house with you.

However, in some cases the value of your house may be taken into account in local authority means testing.

If you are faced with this situation it is likely that you will have questions about how to contact usprotect your home from potential care fee liability. We offer advice on planning your estate in the most effective way possible as well as the possible implications of transferring property out of your name.

We can advise you as to the suitability of this type of action to your circumstances and also the potential risks involved.

Please contact us for more information.