Solicitors in Bristol
solicitors in bristol

Registering an Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA)

Since 2007 it has no longer been possible to create a new Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA) as they were replaced by the Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA). However, EPA’s created before 2007 still remain valid.

For those who already have an EPA, or have a family member or loved one with an EPA, it is critical to understand the rules and procedures for using them.

If a person loses mental capacity, for example due to Dementia, Alzheimer’scontact us disease or an accident, the EPA needs to be registered before it can come into effect. Once it is activated then the appointed attorney can take over handling that person’s affairs on their behalf. The appointed attorney needs to register the EPA with the Office of the Public Guardian.

As well as helping with the registration we can also advise you on other aspects of EPA’s, such as the rules and regulations for using the powers of an EPA, or how to tackle cases of misuse of the powers.

Please contact us for more information.