Solicitors in Bristol
solicitors in bristol

Claiming Compensation for an Accident in a Public Place

If you have been injured in an accident in a public place, which wasn’t your fault, you can make a claim for compensation.

Owners of public buildings, for example supermarkets, business premises and shops, all have a duty of care to ensure that the premises are safe for users.

This type of accident is commonly caused by spillages, loose floor coverings or obstructions to walkways. If someone has been negligent and not adequately protected the users of their premises, you can make a claim for compensation.

It is important to remember that occupiers of premises used by the public have to take out public liability insurance to cover injuries to the public.

Local Authority Compensation Claims

Local Authorities are responsible for adequately maintaining areas that are under their control such as roads and pavements.

If you are injured due to a poorly maintained surface, or due to the negligence of the local authority, you can make a claim for compensation.

We can pursue claims for compensation where people have been injured in and public place, for example:

If you have any questions about this, or making a claim for compensation on general, please contact us for more information. See also our Accident Claims FAQ page for more information.

What is No win – No fee?

Your solicitor may take your case on a ‘no win-no fee’ basis. With his type of agreement your solicitor assumes the risk of not winning the case. If you lose, your solicitor does not get paid and you will not be liable for any legal fees.